Last modified: 8th June 2020
You can find out more about our commitment to privacy and how your personal information is collected and used below. Please review the following carefully so that you understand our privacy practices.
Information you provide to us
We collect non-public personal information when you register for a Rela account or use our Service (including when you apply for any insurance or other product through the Service). Information we collect may include first and last name, phone number, mobile number, e-mail address, home address, date of birth, social security number, citizenship, employer, and other personal information. We may also collect additional information that is normally required by life insurance companies for underwriting purposes, including information about your company or employer, your family, your income, assets, net worth and housing, and your existing life and health insurance coverage. We may combine this information with data we collect from you through other methods, such as telephone conversations or electronic document exchange services, including your social security number, bank account number and other financial information. You may also choose to provide us with images of yourself and/or your beneficiary to personalize your account.
Information that we collect automatically from our Service
- Log Information: We log information about your use of our Service, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, the page you visited before navigating to our Service, and the page you visited before exiting the Service.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Service, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers (including, for example, a UDID, Unique ID for Advertisers, Google Ad ID, or Windows Advertising ID) and mobile network information.
- Location Information: We may collect your location information from your mobile device with your prior consent.
We may also collect information using web beacons (also known as "tracking pixels" or “clear gifs”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Service or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
Use of information
We use information collected through your use of the Service to operate, maintain, support, enhance and provide you the features of the Service, and for our internal business operations. We may use your information as follows:
Registering with us
We may use your information to communicate with you, such as to send you email or text messages, push notifications, to offer information about our Service and your account, to provide updates on the status of your application, to offer you promotions and/or products, to alert you when offers are expiring, and to ask about your satisfaction with the Service. We may also send you Service-related emails or messages (e.g., account verification, change or updates to features of the Service, and security notices).
Applying for Insurance and Other Products
We may collect information you share in connection with any insurance or other product you apply for through our Service. This information will be used by your chosen insurer or other applicable entity to process your application and in conducting any applicable business transactions. Additionally, we may ask you to provide us with your credit card or other payment information and social security number, which will be used (including by such third party) to process your application or collect any fees or premiums associated with your application. Where you have provided personal information to request a quote, we will use your personal information as necessary to provide you with such quote.
We may use your Internet Protocol (IP) address to help diagnose problems with our computer server, and to administer the Service. Your IP address is also used to gather broad demographic data.
Use of Aggregated Information
We use information collected from users of the Service in the aggregate, so that we can improve the Service and for business and administrative purposes.
If you choose to provide us with personal information, you consent to the transfer and storage of that information on our servers located in the United States.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose any information we collect about current and former customers, including non-public personal information, to affiliates and non-affiliated third parties as follows:
- Life insurance companies and their administrators, vendors, agents and third-party service providers, that are engaged in services related to underwriting and issuing life insurance policies, as needed to perform the Service;
- With another user when you sign up for Rela’s services via a referral link. The user that referred you may receive information indicating that you have enrolled with Rela. You may avoid this sharing by not using a referral link to enrol.
- If you were referred to us by, or use our Site or mobile application, or call center in connection with, a current or former employer, affinity group, or other organization with which you may be affiliated (or a benefits administrator or consultant associated with such employer, group or organization), we may disclose your personal information to such employer, group, organization, administrator and/or consultant. For example, we may inform such employer, group, organization, administrator and/or consultant whether or not you have enrolled in a plan. Please be assured that these parties are only allowed to use your personal information as permitted by applicable law;
- If you submit a request for information or an application for an insurance product offered through an insurance agent or other business partner with whom we associate, then we may disclose your personal information to that agent or business partner to process your request or application or to otherwise provide you with information about insurance products (including contacting you by telephone, email, or otherwise to discuss insurance products in which you may be interested);
- Other parties you choose to share data or communicate with through our Service;
- With non-financial companies, such as email service providers that perform marketing services on our behalf, and fraud prevention service providers that use the information to provide services to Rela and other companies.
- With other non-affiliated companies for our everyday business purposes, such as to operate our business, maintain accounts and respond to court orders and legal investigations. For example, in connection with our everyday business purposes, we may share information about you as follows:
- To government or law enforcement officials, agencies, investigators, auditors or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal processes (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Rela or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, an illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
- With our third party service providers who provide services on our behalf, provide customer support, perform Service-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and improvement of the Service features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Service is used; provided these third parties have access to your personal information only to perform these tasks on our behalf, and we will contractually require them to protect and safeguard your personal information to at least the same extent that we do. We may also share your Personal Information with third parties who assist us with marketing and advertising services, and from time to time, partner with other trusted brands if we believe they offer products and services that may be of interest to you. For example, we may provide the email addresses of our customers to a third-party service that uses those addresses to help us and other companies more accurately target advertising for complementary products through social media channels to each other’s customers. In that case, your email address would be disclosed to the service provider to assist in analysis and matching of customers with similar interests but not to the partners whose products and services may be complementary to our products and services.
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
- We may also aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails and text messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you transactional or relationship messages, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
If you initially consent to the collection of location information by us within our applications, you may be able to subsequently stop this collection through your device operating system settings or through your online account settings.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Service.
Social sharing features
Our Service includes social sharing features for common social networks to let users share content. These features are served from third-party services that may serve their own cookies. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features. We are not responsible for the practices employed by the third-party providers of social sharing features or platforms.
Analytics and advertising services provided by others
Third Party Tracking and Online Advertising. We may permit third party ad networks, social media companies, and other third-party services to collect information about browsing behavior from visitors to our Service through cookies, social plug-ins, or other tracking technology. We may permit third party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our websites and the Service over time so that they may play or display ads that may be relevant to our Service. Typically, the information is collected through cookies or similar tracking technologies. Such third party ad networks, social media companies, and other third party services may also transfer the information they collect to other third parties where required to do so by law, or where such other parties process the information on their behalf. The only way to completely “opt out” of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology is to actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device. Please refer to your browser’s or mobile device’s technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools.
Links to other web sites and services
Our Service may integrate with or contain links to other third-party sites and services. We are not responsible for the practices employed by third party websites or services embedded in, linked to, linked from, or connected with the Service and your interactions with any third-party website or service are subject to that third party’s own rules and policies. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of these linked websites as their information privacy practices may differ from ours.
From time to time we may display testimonials of satisfied customers on our Site or mobile application together with other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name.